I need a Germanium Zener diode for a shot noise generator circuit. If I am correct, Silicon replaced Germanium for use in diodes and other semiconductors because of the fact that Germanium diodes have a much higher reverse leakage and are much noisier. But due to the smaller band gap of Germanium as compared to Silicon, this makes them more useful in shot noise generators since at the Zener voltage, a Germanium Zener diode has a depletion region that is smaller than the electron wavelength and as electrons tunnel through it, their energy levels spread out due to the uncertainty principle.
- Electronic – Switching and Zener Diodes
- Determine material of Zener’s diode based on its characteristics
- Zener diodes in series
- Germanium Power Diodes
- Electrical – Range of Holes Flow in pn junction diode
- Electronic – Is the avalanche effect in Zener diodes a quantum mechanical process
- Electronic – Zener Diodes: How are different voltage drops achieved