I just mounted some 47uF tantalum capacitors to a logic board. I used a heat gun at 325°C to heat them up so the solder under there would melt, and then they would sit down on their pads. They did successfully mount, but I was concerned about the heat gun damaging the caps because they became very hot, and one or two of them became discolored (slightly toasted :D). The machine boots fine.
- Electrical – lum – Tantalum capacitor burning out
- Electronic – Replacement of Tantalum Capacitor
- Electrical – lum – Identifying an SMD Tantalum Capacitor
- Electronic – Replacing tantalum capacitor with ceramic capacitor for Op Amps
- Electronic – Split capacitor PCB mounting
- Electronic – How to you damage DMM if you haven’t discharged a capacitor