I've designed and built a small board for supplying about 2A at 12V (regulated) from a 18V unregulated wall wart for a project of mine. It uses two LM7812 linear regulators to supply 1A each to separate loads. My problem is that it is overheating.
Below is the schematics.
Below is the board design.
And here is one picture of the prototype.
My question is: What's wrong with my board?
Is it overheating because of the undersized heatsink, or is there a problem with the design? Or should I just scrap it and throw away all linear regulators in my bins and design a new one using switching regulators?