Electronic – the terminology for polarity


We have all seen the little symbols on electronic connectors that indicate its polarity. But is there a term for describing it other than something like positive inside, negative outside or negative tip, positive barrel/ring, and such?

Typical polarity diagram

Best Answer

I've always heard (and referred to it) as "Center Positive", or "Center Negative".

The image you have in the OP is "Center Positive", as the center contact is, well, positive.