Electronic – What are the metallic loops on the sides of a connector for


I'm designing a device that involves the 24-pin GPIB / IEEE-488 connector interface.
I’m trying to find the ideal panel-mount female receptacle, but I'm not fully confident I'm even sure what I'm looking for because the socket puzzles me.

I see a lot of receptacles of this and similar kinds, that feature these metallic loops on the sides that I believe are called spring-locks. What are they for?

I failed to find any assembly guides or example images where I'd see those loops in action.

Here's a typical example:


Best Answer

The mating half of that connector is designed so that the loops can clip into place and thus you have a connector pair that is more resilient to vibration and general movement i.e. the two halves are held together this way without relying on electrical contact pressure.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Related Topic