For typical AC to DC power adapters, I understand that the device draws the current it needs from the adapter. If it pulls more than the adapter can supply, this can cause overheating and lead to breaking the adapter.
Following this… I am always charging my phone or tablet on 1A USB chargers or in normal PC USB ports, yet I have never experienced a broken USB port resulting from this.
My question is:
- Do USB ports or devices typically have a mechanism to regulate current to avoid overloading ports?
I'm mostly thinking in the context of devices which charge via USB.