I'm building a project that needs both 5V and 12V rails which will draw about 1A on the 12V and 0.5A on the 5V. I was thinking of using a 7805 to produce the required 5V but this could generate some significant heat. I am not so much asking if it is acceptable to use a 7805 (I just need a mini heatsink), but rather: are there any ways of doing it cooler? Any tips would be great.
- Electronic – thermal knife power supply (part 2)
- Powering a 4-Pin stock CPU heatsink fan with an external power supply
- Calculating Power and Setup using resistors as heating elements
- Electronic – Should I step-up or step-down the voltage if I have the option
- Electronic – How to step down the voltage efficiently
- Electronic – Regenerative Load Circuit